"Two roads diverged in a wood and I- I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference."

Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Road Not Taken



Two roads diverged in a wood and I,
I took the one less traveled by.
And that has made all the difference.


The road not taken can in some ways be frightening but at the same time, an avenue to discovery. It is along this road that we are often confronted by the unfamiliar, and so the true nature of what were are is brought to light. I can’t imagine every being an effective public servant if I don’t understand why it is I do what I do and who I really am. Perhaps this is the greatest reward for traveling down this road. This road brings me encounters with people who help me learn about myself and at the same time, teach me so much. These lessons are ones I could never learn from any book, school, or educational video.

I have taken this road many times and its destination has never been the same. Though I may not know where it will lead, it has yet to let me down. And I hate to think of the person I would be and how boring things may be if I hadn’t taken this road. All of us should attempt to travel down this road. To ignore it, is to miss so much, for life’s little beauties are found along this road.

And so two roads diverged:

And as I rounded the corner I saw a woman sitting on the ground, her chitenje protecting her from the dirt, enjoying the Saturday morning sun. As I approached her, I found my self asking her:

“Mazuka bwanji?” (How is your morning?)

She smiled and replied, “Dazuka bwino. Kya inu? (My morning is fine and you?)

It took a moment for the words to register in my head but finally I responded,

“Bwino. Zikomo.” (Fine. Thank you).

We shared a laugh and she thanked me for speaking in her native language, and I in turn, inwardly thanked her for allowing me to have this moment and for sharing her country with me.

That has made all the difference.


I thank all of you for traveling down this road with me.

And a big thanks to all those at CHAI.

Until the road rises up to meet me again………….

1 comment:

pubRiley said...

lindsey,

i haven't been able to keep up with anyone's blog because of the lack of internet in Mamfe but i am now in London for the night and called home and my mom told me to check out yours. i only read a little bit but i will try to read more so i can prepare for our panel.

hunter