"Two roads diverged in a wood and I- I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference."

Monday, June 2, 2008

If only I had flown in two days later, I could have witnessed Malawi's ex-president being arrested as he returned from the UK. He was placed under house arrest amid coup suspicions while Malawi's current president is in Japan. (There is nothing to worry about). Former President Muluzi was the leader of the United Democratic Front (UDF) and apparently when his supporters, who had gathered at the airport to greet him, heard he was arrest, choas erruped, leading to 3 people being shot. The constitution of Malawi allows a person to serve 2 consecutive terms as president. They can then run for election again following a new President. Muluzi plans to run against current president Mutharika in next May's election. Mutharika had been a member or the UDF party but went on to found his own party, leaving a bit of bad blood between the two. No one wants to let go of power but is interesting how poitical leaders in Africa hold on to power until their knuckles are white. There have been no formal charges filed against Muluzi so it will be interesting to see what happens.

1 comment:

emily english said...

Lindsey,
So glad to see you made it! I have been eager for your posts - you being alone and all like myself... glad to hear you have good peeps around and I am so very glad you are back in Africa. I am eager to hear more about your work. The children here are pretty food secure (fishing in the canals, edible wild greens and snails everywhere) and I wonder how it compares to where you are.
Do take care!
emily