"Two roads diverged in a wood and I- I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference."

Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Midpoint

I have nearly reached the midpoint of my stay here. Before I left, I was convinced that this would be my last trip to Africa and I told several people this. The travel is just so long and I was by myself. After being in Malawi a month, I know this is no longer the case, and I realize that I have been picking up and moving to unfamiliar places all my life. So as Johnny Lang would say, I’m meant to “Wander this world.” I have adapted and though I have often traveled and moved on my own, I have met many great friends in those places and the same is true for Malawi. And if I can do this, then I can certainly withstand the travel and initial loneliness to come back to Africa again.

At the same time, I’m also finding that there is nothing wrong with wanting to stay home and serve there. There is poverty and issues with health care in Africa as well as the states. Many people I have talked to believe there is something glamorous about going to a completely foreign and poverty-ridden area to serve. And I admit, that Africa has a pull on my heart. But I’m not in this public service stuff for the glamour. Serving in Ohio or Arkansas can be just as fulfilling as serving in rural Malawi or Uganda or Rwanda. Mother Teresa said “You do the thing that is in front of you.” And maybe for some it takes more courage to stay at home than to go to the remote places. Clearly we need people who are willing to do both. And for me, it is the work, and not the place that brings the fulfillment. And if I must wander this world, then I will or if must stop my wandering then I will do that is well. And if it is the thing that is in front of me that I must do, then I will.

5 comments:

JayThompson said...

i've once again been bad with reading blogs, but i just got caught up on yours...

congratulations on successfully crossing the halfway point - it's all downhill from here. also, i really like your pictures from the lake, especially the one of the boat - definitely a keeper...

take care of yourself, and i hope your service finishes strong.

jay

Sara said...

i love you, linds. i'm excited to see you in a few weeks!

Jules West said...

Awwww Linds. As always, you always have just the best perspective in your "reflection journal." ;-)
I'm looking forward to sharing stories and insights when we are back in LR.
I, too, have just had my "hump" day and I'm looking forward to seeing Katie and Maggie. Though, it's interesting, I am just now getting into a groove in which I know how to take care of myself in the midst of the madness.

carly. said...

Hey Lindsey --

Your blog is really great. I know exactly what you mean. The world is a big place, and there's lots of ways we can do service. After being so far away from home for a while now, I think about trying find a balance between the work that I want to do, and my personal life's happiness. I'm sure you'll do great things wherever you are.

Enjoy the second half of your project.
c.

Redbaerd said...

I've been loving all of your posts, Lindsey, partly for the way they allow me to wander with you...

But the beauty of your insight & your framing in this post was especially meaningful....

thx!